Autism recovered?

Medical experts say it's not possible to recover autism. We have living proof in the form of three children, that it IS possible. In my blog you will find recovery stories, along with information regarding health that I have learned over the years. And sometimes just snippets of life to give hope that yes, life can be normal after the hard work is done.

Sit back, enjoy, and be hopeful! RECOVERY HAPPENS!

**Kids names have been changed to protect the innocent and naughty alike. ;)



Thursday, September 9, 2010

Our curriculum this year

People frequently ask what we use and the list is long and ridiculous. Mainly b/c I don't have one set curriculum I go with, we're eclectic... meaning we pick and choose pieces of things to use. I REALLY wish there was one boxed curriculum that fit my kids but there's not so I just piece it together as needed.

Here's a list of what we're using this semester. Who knows if I'll change it up next semester!! I try not to deviate too much from any years program but sometimes I see things I just GOTTA have. :D

***For some reason, the links are not showing, but if you're interested in what each subject looks like, just click on them and it will take you to the actual book or program we use***

Tony uses:
Math U See Beta (
MUS)**
Learning RX games (these are the THINK portion of Grace's program from last year)
A Young Scholars Guide to
Composers
Manners Made Easy
Bible Memory
Piano (Mommy lead b/c lessons cost a fortune and Grace is almost done with her first books)
Math Basics (just a math workbook to keep him from getting in a rut with Math U See)
Maps & Geography
Machines & Motion
Curious Case of the
Misplaced Modifier (because every good writer needs to know how to make their books more reader-friendly)
Easy
Grammar
Our Weather &
Water
Story of the World
Volume 2 (SOTW2)
Timeline work each week based on composers and SOTW
Institute for Excellence in
Writing though co-op (IEW)
Art Appreciation through co-op
Word
Roots

**Tony is VERY behind in math... due to my lack of knowledge on how to teach (or even comprehend) math, combined with his lack of interest. This is not his correct grade level but he does several lessons daily and finished Alpha (1st grade-ish) in 3 weeks and has moved on to Beta. I anticipate he will be through Delta before the year end. Thank God for video teachers!!

Grace uses:
MUS
Bible memory
SOTW2
Easy Grammar
A Young Scholars Guide to Composers
Manners Made Easy
Learning RX games
Our Weather & Water
Mind Benders
Word Roots
Piano lessons in co-op
TONS of read alouds. She reads at least 2 chapters from a mom-approved book daily + independent reading throughout the day.

Kate uses:
MUS primer
Learning RX read and games
Bible memory

I read
Fallacy Detective to them one night a week, usually Saturday so Daddy can join in. He enjoys logical thinking so this is fun for him too. Most of Grace's work and all of Kate's require my direct teaching while Tony does a lot of his on his own. He would probably do it all without help except that some of the subjects require he do them with Grace so we just do them all together. Kate usually listens in but is not required to. She IS required to be quiet while I work with the big kids though and she loves her daily "boxes" that she gets to play with during this time. It works well to keep her focused and quiet.

I have not yet figured out how to do a time schedule. I'm not sure I even want one. I would hate to stop someone in the middle of their lesson just b/c they took longer than allotted; although I do have friends that this works for. We just have more of a groove than schedule. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you are not the commenting on blogs type, but want to talk to me, feel free to email autismrecovered@gmail.com. Nice people only please. :)