Autism recovered?

Medical experts say it's not possible to recover autism. We have living proof in the form of three children, that it IS possible. In my blog you will find recovery stories, along with information regarding health that I have learned over the years. And sometimes just snippets of life to give hope that yes, life can be normal after the hard work is done.

Sit back, enjoy, and be hopeful! RECOVERY HAPPENS!

**Kids names have been changed to protect the innocent and naughty alike. ;)



Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Favorite healing diets

Food is one thing none of us can get away from.  Some of us LOVE food, others hate food, others don't give a hoot about food.  But what we eat matters.

Why you might ask?




What we eat turns into nourishment for our cells.  Our cells MUST be properly nourished for healing to occur.  People do not get well while eating garbage, no matter how many supplements they take.  Supplements can be a great bandaid and are often needed in healing to give the body extra help; but in the absence of nourishment, a bandaid is all they are.

I did not understand food when I was young.  I don't guess many people did back then.  It was still the era of microwave dinners, right?  I thought it was just something to keep the stomach happy; I never once considered what the purpose of food was.  I'd like to think I would not have eaten straight sugar from the bowl if I understood food back then but who knows?  I also thought I was invincible and nothing bad would ever happy no matter what I did, so I might not have done anything with that knowledge.

The first thing I learned when looking into autism recovery is that food matters.  The internet is FULL of specialized diets.  There's Paleo, Veganism, Body Ecology, GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome), GFCF, SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet), the Low Histamine Diet, the SIBO diet, the Auto-immune diet, and so many more.  But the thing is, these diets don't just work for autism, they are worth exploring for any disorder of the brain or body.  Food has a much more profound affect on us than most people realize.  Do you know someone whose hands hurt after eating peppers or potatoes?  If so, you know someone who suffers a disorder because of food.  I encourage you to research which foods can do what in the body.  It's quite interesting and may lead you to some answers for your own health.

I thought I would touch briefly on some of the diets listed above, and where to go for guidance with them.  Some are specifically geared toward autism but almost all will work for other disorders as well.

Let me just remind you that your doctor or your child's doctor probably cannot speak much into diet.  They learn so much while in medical school, but nutrition is not on their list of heavily taught subjects.  So do your own research and educate yourself.  I cannot even begin to tell you how many parents were told by their doctor "Diet won't help", and yet those very same brave parents did make dietary changes and saw positive results from it.  I am not saying doctors cannot help you, I'm just saying you're the one that lives with your child...do your own research.  You're much more invested in their health than a doctor is, no matter how fabulous they are. :)

Body Ecology Diet is the one I did with my children and myself so long ago.  We still adhere to the principles of the diet even now, we are just loose with the foods because we can be to some extent.  The best place to go for help is the BEDROK (Body Ecology Diet Recovering Our Kids) website and blog. (Yes, my children are some of those adorable creatures you see on the main page).  The page is moderated by a mother who is 14 years in the trenches of recovery and has so much valuable wisdom to share.  You can also get support here if you're a Facebooker.  If you're not on Facebook, get there.  Many private forums are filled with experts and nutritionists who really understand autism and can help you understand it too.

That's it for today.  I'll post next time about another diet and where you can get some support to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you are not the commenting on blogs type, but want to talk to me, feel free to email autismrecovered@gmail.com. Nice people only please. :)