Autism recovered?

Medical experts say it's not possible to recover autism. We have living proof in the form of three children, that it IS possible. In my blog you will find recovery stories, along with information regarding health that I have learned over the years. And sometimes just snippets of life to give hope that yes, life can be normal after the hard work is done.

Sit back, enjoy, and be hopeful! RECOVERY HAPPENS!

**Kids names have been changed to protect the innocent and naughty alike. ;)



Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Grace gets brave

The other day, while Grace was still getting her feeling for riding her bike sans training wheels, she noticed two little girls in our neighborhood ride by on their bikes... also without trainers.  She watched them ditch their bikes and start playing at the park across the street from our house.  She came over and told me they were riding without trainers.  It's so funny how once something becomes important to you, you suddenly notice it everywhere!  :)

Anyway, she just stood there watching.  I knew what she was thinking... she wanted to go play with them.  But she was nervous.  See years ago, when she was just beginning to come out of autism, she wanted to play with other little girls.  But because her language was odd (she had echolalia and jibberish talk for a very long time) the little girls in our neighborhood didn't want to play with her.  She would wait in our back yard for them to come out and when they did, she would smile at them, looking for an invite.  (Oh if only they'd known what a miracle it was that she was looking them in the eye!!)  Two little twerpy girls in particular, looked Grace right in the face, acted all scared (they were 2 years older and much larger than Grace so I cannot imagine what they were afraid of) and ran away from her, giggling and pointing at her.  Tony and I would hug and comfort her but my heart would break as much as hers did.  And she learned way back then that kids can be mean to those who are different. No matter how much we tried to tell her it was them and not her that had the problem, she was still wounded to the heart at such blatant rejection.


So all this is going through my head as I watch her watching those little girls play.  Since that last time she made an effort, years ago, she has not been able to initiate conversation with girls her age.  She can make friends with boys much easier than she can with girls.  She has told me countless times that she wants to make friends with some little girl but she's afraid and no matter how I encourage or try to facilitate, she usually stands on the sidelines of the fun watching and wishing, but afraid to act. 

So per usual, she watched and watched those little girls, pining to go play.  Of course I watched her, with an ache in my heart and my heart in my throat, trying to look nonchalant so Grace wouldn't pick up my "crazy vibes".

She finally screwed up her courage to whisper to me that she wished she could go play with them.  That alone was pretty huge.  She is pretty private about that issue as she is very embarrassed  by her inability to initiate play.  But the next part was even HUGE-er.  You won't believe it.  :)


So there I was, not sure what to say but wanting to encourage her to rise above her fear.  Somehow I managed to keep my voice calm and said "Go ahead".  She said she didn't know how.   I told her to just run over and with a smile on her face, say "Hi!  I'm Grace. Can I play?"  I have a lump in my throat just remembering the sight of her walking all the way over, SUPER slowly but with almost palpable anticipation of being able to join in. First time ever that I have seen her expecting to be included. 


And she did it.  She DID IT!  Do you know how awesomely amazing that is???  She, my shy sweet little thing, picked up the pace on her slow walk and by the time she got near them she was almost running.  She said some approximation of what I told her to say and those little girls, God bless them, said "Yea!  Come play!"  I am not given to tears easily but that did make me tear up watching her face light up and join right in their game.  I just stood at the door of my house for probably a good 30 minutes watching her run around the park with completely new friends; divine joy on her face. 


I am SOOOO proud of my little girl.  I have worried for years over her inability to initiate.  I think I can quit worrying now.  I love my girl. 


And I'm a pretty big fan of those little girls too.  ;)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you are not the commenting on blogs type, but want to talk to me, feel free to email autismrecovered@gmail.com. Nice people only please. :)